Elk Grove, Calif. Oct.8 (Punjab Mail)– The safety of everyone traveling is the focus of a grant awarded to the Elk Grove Police Department. The $207,800 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) will assist in Elk Grove Police Department’s efforts to reduce deaths and injuries on Elk Grove roads.
The one-year grant is for the 2021 federal fiscal year, which runs from Oct. 1, 2020 to Sept. 30, 2021.The grant will fund a variety of traffic safety programs, including:
- Patrols with emphasis on alcohol and drug-impaired driving prevention.
- Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of California’s hands-free cell phone law.
- Patrols with emphasis on education of traffic rights for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of primary causes of crashes: excess speed, failure to yield, failure to stop at stop signs/signals, improper turning/lane changes.
- Community education presentations on traffic safety issues such as distracted driving, DUI, speed, bicycle and pedestrian safety.
- Collaborative efforts with neighboring agencies on traffic safety priorities.
- Officer training and/or recertification: Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE).